Thursday, February 3, 2011

Month 4, Day 3: Chinese New Year


Today marks the start of the Chinese New Year. Based on the lunar calendar, the Chinese New Year is a 15-day celebration that is supposed to “welcome the gods of the heavens and earth” and help ensure good fortune and health for the year to come.

Since my regular New Year this year was a bit of a letdown (I watched some TV and was in bed by 10:00), I really wanted to embrace the Chinese New Year and maybe give myself a bit of a boost, if there really is anything to this good fortune stuff. So I looked into some of the traditions and taboos associated with Chinese New Year.

It’s not encouraging. For starters, you’re supposed to have paid off all your debts by the time the Chinese New Year begins. That part is not looking good for me, unless the people at Chase Visa want to give me an amnesty in honor of my month of being Chinese. Maybe? Please?

You’re also supposed to avoid using bad language during the celebration of the New Year. Considering that I have already been to the grocery store, Target, and Wal-Mart this morning (and it’s not even noon yet), and we had to drive through icy parking lots because apparently no one in Texas understands the concept of cleaning up after a snowstorm, let’s just say that I have already used some really choice profanity today. I guess I’m 0 for 2.

The next taboo is something I probably should have read yesterday: You’re not supposed to wash your hair on the Chinese New Year, because it’s believed that if you do wash it, you’ll wash away all your good luck along with it. Crap. Had I planned ahead, I might have gotten my lazy ass into the shower yesterday evening. Now I’ve got to make it through the whole day with greasy, grimy hair. Not very festive, if you ask me.

You’re also supposed to avoid using knives or scissors, because it’s believed you can cut off your fortune. Well, I guess I’m 0 for 4, because I’ve already used scissors to cut open a bag of frozen shrimp. And I’m also guessing that a knife will come into play when I start cooking later. I mean, I don’t think those scallions are going to magically dice themselves.

So my outlook for the Chinese New Year isn’t so good. But I’m hoping that maybe the effort I put into making my fabulous decorations will appease the spirits of the ancestors and I’ll still end up having a good year. Like I promised, I had the construction paper and glue stick out. And, as usual, I did a bang-up job.

Just for the sake of comparison, here’s a picture of what normal Chinese New Year decorations traditionally look like:


Now, let’s have a look at mine:

 
Not very impressive, is it? The sad thing about all these do-it-yourself projects is that I try really hard to make things look nice. I’m just THAT untalented.

Still, I think you can get the general idea. I made paper lanterns in anticipation of the Lantern Festival, which takes place on the last night of the 15-day New Year celebration. And my dragons are quite scary and intimidating, aren’t they?

I just have to hope the food comes out slightly better (okay, a LOT better) than the decorations did—although I’m kind of happy with the door hanging I made (see photo below). It goes on your door handle to welcome good luck and fortune into your home for the year. According to a Website I found, the Chinese characters are supposed to say “New Year,” although I wouldn’t be at all surprised to learn that they actually mean “Stupid American.”



Well, I guess I should get back to cooking. I have a few dishes to prepare: shrimp fried rice, chicken and green beans in garlic sauce, and some really yummy-looking lettuce wraps. Too bad I’m a terrible cook.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment