Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 17: Depression and Hinduism

I haven’t written in a while because I’ve been feeling crappy. Not sick, just depressed and pissed off at the world. It happens to me a lot, and I knew it would creep in at some point and interfere with this project. I just thought I’d be able to get through at least 3 weeks before I’d be ready to crawl back into bed and give up.

But instead of giving up entirely, I had an idea. I asked myself, “How would a real Hindu deal with this depressed feeling?” I was surprised to find quite a few suggestions. Thank you, Internet.

Hinduism tells us that life is a painful burden, and to feel depressed because of it is a normal response. But Hinduism also offers some ways to overcome depression and get back on the path of seeking God and enlightenment. I don’t know yet whether any of the techniques will work for me, but at this point, I’m willing to try just about anything.

I stumbled across an article online about “Hinduism and Depression,” by Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanswami. It says that the most popular method of coping with depression in our modern age is the scientific, or simnif, approach. People take drugs to make themselves feel better. Hinduism doesn’t recommend it. But the scientific perspective can also focus on non-drug therapies—things like exercise, diet, and positive thinking. In my experience, antidepressant drugs and changes in diet and exercise don’t do diddly squat to help my mood, so maybe I need to try something else.

The article also says that talking to a friend or professional counselor can help alleviate depression. This psychological method is called mulif. That sounds great, but frankly, therapy is a smidge beyond my budget these days, and I don’t really know anybody who’d be willing to sit and listen to me whine about my life for free. So, I’m thinking the mulif approach is out.

The next method for easing depression is the dimfi, or inner place, perspective. You go to the temple and make offerings to the deities. Basically, you put your problems in the hands of God. Maybe that would help, but until I meet my contact from our local Hindu temple later this week, I don’t exactly feel comfortable showing up and begging for help. So we’ll have to see.

Another method to cure depression is through meditation—the shumif approach. As Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanswami admits, “This is the most advanced method, because the hardest time to meditate is when we’re upset, sad or bothered.” So you have to be really good at meditation to successfully meditate your way to a happier mood. I think we’ve already established that I suck at meditation, so let’s just move on. I’m guessing that any attempt I might make right now to make myself feel better will send me spiraling from “a little depressed” to downright suicidal.

So, I’m kind of at a loss. None of the methods seems likely to work for me. However, Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanswami’s article does make one other suggestion, using parts of all the techniques. Someone is supposed to provide counseling to the depressed person, trying to cheer the person up and reminding him or her that we are all divine beings. Then the counselor is supposed to suggest that the depressed person talk to Ganesha about the problem, asking for divine help to feel better. Then the depressed person is supposed to try meditation, along with fresh air and more exercise.

I don’t know. The only part of that suggestion that sounds remotely appealing is the part about talking to Ganesha—and that’s only because he’s so cute and jolly. If the suggested deity had been Shiva or Kali or any other, I’d be inclined to bag the entire concept. So maybe I’ll talk to Ganesha. I have nobody else to talk to anyway.

But I’m definitely not meditating today. Or exercising. And no fresh air for me. It’s my blog and I’ll cry if I want to.

8 comments:

  1. this is a cool blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, i find myself in a similar situation...lately i've been feeling like i'm just going thru the motions...i really want to feel inspired and find a more purposeful existence..i'm actually going to follow ur example and try researching as many religions as possible to try and hopefully find some clarity in the chaos :)
    Any resources or tips you can provide would be sincerely appreciated! kathalena@hotmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely hoping all this exploration helps, but it seems like I still go through a few days (or more) every month where nothing feels inspirational to me. It makes it hard to stay focused. Maybe I just haven't found the right path for me yet--I guess we'll have to see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeking a solution with strong insight is a way to recovery.
    http://depressivedisorder.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how things are for you now, but if you're still on your way to a better understanding, hang in there Tara. Patience and persistence pay in great dividends: http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090205092040AAclpSP

    ReplyDelete
  6. After all, you can only win if you play ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. it seems as though you are not making an effort to consider the techniques posed by the hindu guru. With hardwork comes results and you have to work hard with the mentioned techniques in order to see results.

    Nobody can just master the art of meditation in a matter of a day. It takes months in order to perfect the art of meditation and achieve the equilibrium that you want and fully control your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There have been so many discussions about the mental illness, depression, and the ways to get over it.

    ReplyDelete