Saturday, February 19, 2011

Month 4, Day 19: Taoist Beliefs


Okay, so I’ve been reading everything I can find, trying to get a handle on what exactly Taoism is all about, but it’s not easy to figure out.

Even people who write books about Taoism say we shouldn’t try too hard to define its beliefs. As Brandon Toropov and Chad Hansen write in The Idiot’s Guide to Taoism, “From one point of view, a book about Taoism is unnecessary, and writing one is a violation of Taoism’s spirit.”

Fabulous. So Taoism can’t be explained. I really, really hate that.

Still, some people have tried. Writer Madelyn Hamilton said, “In a nutshell, Taoism is the consolidation of a number of concepts and practices that make up a ‘path,’ or ‘Way,’ of living. The consolidation of ideas and concepts include basic principles of theories regarding the body, diet, breathing and physical exercise, uses of herbs, philosophical inquiry, and, of course, meditation. All of which the Taoist feels brings a human being into close alignment with the ‘natural order’ of life and living.”

Ugh. It always boils down to meditation, doesn’t it? I’m not liking that.

But is there anything about Taoism I do like? The Idiot’s Guide to World Religions lists a few basic Taoist principles:

1. The rejection of calculated, restless, goal-oriented effort.

Ouch. My whole life is pretty much about being restless and, on the rare occasions when I have a little energy, trying to reach goals. It’s not a promising start.

2. Trust in the benefits of effortless, spontaneous action in accordance with the requirements of time.
          
Huh?

3. Belief that the Tao manifests itself everywhere and in all situations.
           
Although it would be nice if someone would more clearly explain, somewhere, anywhere, what the hell the Tao really is, I guess, if I look at it as “the natural order” or even “the great divine,” I can handle this aspect of Taoism.

4. An understanding of the Tao as eternally new, fundamentally creative, and beyond literal expression.
             
This one seems to be the favorite of most Taoist writers. It gives them an easy way out of explaining anything about their beliefs.

5. Emphasis on the importance of balance, especially on that which is communicated between the human realm, heaven, and earth.
             
Ugh. More “balance.” I’m so not good at that.

Where’s the religion for people who don’t want to enjoy nature, or be around other people all that much? Where’s the religion that encourages working too much and sleeping excessively? Where’s my religion?

I think I’m starting to get discouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment