Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day 30: Christian Mysticism


Although some of the sources I’ve come across in my research insist that there is no such thing as Christian mysticism, most religious scholars seem to agree that there is a mystical tradition within Christianity, even if it is on the small side.

Mysticism refers to the desire to attain some type of personal union with God, through meditation or other experiences—kind of like the goal of Hinduism, which we talked about last month. 

In the Bible, Jesus says, “I and the Father are one.” (John 10:30) It’s this statement that Christian mystics often use to demonstrate that the direct path to God already exists—it’s just a matter of finding it for yourself. 

Since we’ve already established pretty well that I suck at meditation, I’m not going to attempt to become a Christian mystic myself. Instead, I’m just going to give you a few examples of well-known Christian mystics throughout history. Okay, so maybe I’m getting lazy, but this has been a rough month, so cut me a little slack.

Among the most famous of the Christian mystics are Thomas Aquinas (1225–1274), whose collected works I am now suffering through; Teresa of Avila (1515–1582); Thomas Merton (1915–1968); and my personal favorite, Catherine of Siena (1347–1380). 

From everything I’ve read about Catherine, she was never a big eater like I am, but as she became more and more absorbed in her mystical experiences, she ate even less, claiming that she only felt nourished by the body of Christ (the host eaten at Holy Communion). That’s one hell of a diet plan.

Anyway, perhaps the best-known Christian mystic was Thomas à Kempis (1380–1471), who wrote The Imitation of Christ. In it, he details some of his own mystical experiences and gives examples of how people can strive to be like Jesus in their everyday lives. 

I really kind of love some of the quotes I’ve found from The Imitation of Christ, such as:

“Never be entirely idle; but either be reading, or writing, or praying or meditating or endeavoring something for the public good.”

Okay, so maybe I’m not doing a whole lot of public good, but I have definitely not been idle much since I started this project. I think my TV misses me.

“Some have [God] in their mouths, but little in their hearts.”

All I can say to that is amen!

“If thou reliest more upon thine own reason or industry than upon the virtue that subjects to Jesus Christ, thou wilt seldom and hardly become an enlightened man; for God wishes us to be perfectly subject to Himself, and to transcend all reason by inflamed love.”

Oops. Guess I might be in trouble.

3 comments:

  1. Jesus said I and the Father are One because they are. Narrow is the road that leads to Life and few are those that find it; realizing, the Spirit of Truth had not yet been sent to the world until after the crucifixion; that was the beginning of the next step of the evolution of human beings was my understanding. It's all about FAITH. For Abraham's Faith was accounted to him for righteousness as were several others written about in the Old Testament. Beware of self-proclaimed Christian Mystics, Paul wrote of them, some pass of in Gnosticism...which goes right back to being 'all about me' all over again. There's no such things as salvation through special so-called "knowledge' which is nothing more than man's vain imaginings. Jesus has ALWAYS existed in God, as God; that is a 'human name' but his Name is the Nature of the Lord of all Existence for all things were made by Him , for Him, and Through Him. Some mystics 'might' reduce him to being a person, but I doubt it. The danger for most is they don't understand Christian Mystics of the past and make it up to their own understanding purely out of carnal desire or interest. They are made by God...not man. No one 'decides' to be a so-called 'Christian Mystics" it's an act of God for those who were initially created to help spread the Kingdom. Also, watch out fo those who will say 'the Kingdom of God is inside you"..that is from one mis-interpreted
    /translated verse in Mark, but in reading the rest of the sacred text it's obvious such a translation is completely inconsistent, and even if it is inside everyone, few are those that find it. "Truly,' if you want to read some trippy stuff though, I was led to jakob Boehme right off the bat, never even having heard of him..I received the Spirit and said, "I got it!" I don't know what I Got, but I Got it"!..but it was all a result of going throgh some suffering and DEEP and HONEST Repentance. WHy would God make himself Known Unto you to one who has not desired at least at some level to no longer be their own, but to be Owned by Him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. "Enlightenment' can mean different things to different people (and religions). Remember, Christ is The Light of the World..to have the mind of CHrist is to be Enlightened with and in and through the Nature of God Himself. How else can one explain a supposed enlightened Buddhist who is an atheist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good 'luck' on your journey, just remember, if Christ is The Truth, can He also be a liar?

    ReplyDelete