Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Month 6, Day 20: Life After Death


Like most religions, Baha’i believes we all have a soul that lives on even after the body dies. Although the soul is eternal, we can’t ever truly comprehend its nature. But we can know one thing—according to Baha’i, the soul doesn’t really live inside the body. It’s more a reflection of the divine that somehow “shines” upon and through us while our bodies are alive. Yeah, I find that a little confusing, too.

As ‘Abdu’l-Bahá explains, “The rational soul, meaning the human spirit, does not descend into the body—that is to say, it does not enter it, for descent and entrance are characteristics of bodies, and the rational soul is exempt from this. The spirit never entered this body, so in quitting it, it will not be in need of an abiding-place: no, the spirit is connected with the body, as this light is with this mirror.”

In a way, believing that the soul is something above and beyond the body makes sense—more than some of the other religions I’ve tried. Not being “part” of the body seems like it would make it easier for the soul to survive death.

So what happens to the soul after the body dies? Same thing as most other religions tell us: It goes on to another plane of existence.

What that plane of existence is like is kind of vague in Baha’i writing, but that’s pretty typical of scripture in any faith.

Baha’u’llah writes, “Blessed is the soul which, at the hour of its separation from the body, is sanctified from the vain imaginings of the peoples of the world. Such a soul liveth and moveth in accordance with the Will of its Creator, and entereth the all-highest Paradise. The Maids of Heaven, inmates of the loftiest mansions, will circle around it, and the Prophets of God and His chosen ones will seek its companionship. With them that soul will freely converse, and will recount unto them that which it hath been made to endure in the path of God, the Lord of all worlds.”

I guess this picture of “heaven” sounds okay to me. It’s better than the puffy cloud, golden gate Christian version, at least in my opinion, although I’m not sure I really want “Maids of Heaven” dancing around me. I’d prefer “Studs of Heaven” or something just a little bit dirtier, but hey, that’s just me.

One thing about Baha’i that differs from a lot of religions when it comes to life after death is that Baha’i actually tries to give some proof. Although Baha’i does admit that there can’t be any true, irrefutable proof that the soul survives after the body dies, Baha’u’llah gave it a try, telling us that dreams show us that there are, indeed, other worlds and other planes of existence out there.

Baha’u’llah wrote, “Behold how the dream thou hast dreamed is, after the lapse of many years, re-enacted before thine eyes. Consider how strange is the mystery of the world that appeareth to thee in thy dream. Ponder in thine heart upon the unsearchable wisdom of God, and meditate on its manifold revelations.”

I don’t know. The idea that dreams are proof of life after death sounds a little off to me. I mean, last night, I dreamed I was eating barbecue with members of the cast of Army Wives, which I don’t even watch. So if that’s my other “plane of existence,” I might want to stick with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment