Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Month 5, Day 29: My Problem with African Traditional Religion


Maybe I’m just in yet another mini-depression, but I’m starting to get sick of African religion. I think I was right to pick 30 days as the length of time to spend in each religion. If I had spent any longer on Christianity or Taoism, I probably would have blown my brains out. And I’m already starting to feel the same way about African religion.

Don’t get me wrong. There are a lot of things I like about the African traditions I’ve been practicing. I love not having to go to church at designated times. I like the whole “share some wine with your ancestors and reap the benefits” thing. And I like the clever, funny, vomit-related stories about the origins of the universe. But one thing is driving me crazy: the lack of any type of scripture.

I’m a sucker for books. I’m almost certain I own more volumes than my local library. My books are in excellent condition and actually include genres other than mystery and “large print”--unlike my local library.

The point is, I like books. So maybe I overestimate the importance of books in religion, but I think some kind of scripture is important, if not essential, in a religious tradition.

I’m not saying that I necessarily believe that the scripture of any given religion is truly divine, handed down by God to some prophet who wrote all that wisdom down.. In fact, I definitely do not believe that. After reading the entire Bible back in December, I can comfortably say that some books do not live up to the hype.

Still, I like the idea of having some concrete ideas, some prayers, something tangible as a focus for worship. Pouring wine on the ground and chatting with my dead ancestors doesn’t feel like religion to me. To tell you the truth, it feels a lot like being crazy—and I get enough of that feeling in the non-spiritual parts of my life. I’m kind of looking for religion to make me feel less crazy.

So I guess the point is that I’m glad this month is almost over. Although African religions are interesting and even beautiful in many ways, I don’t think they’re right for me. I need some structure and I really need some books.

No comments:

Post a Comment